Sunday 31 May 2015

I Accept N3.5m Per Show, I Don’t Regret Not Being A Graduate — MC Galaxy


MC Galaxy made this statement in an interview with Punch Newspaper. The ‘Sekem’ crooner and comedian, MC Galaxy, talks about his rise to fame and relationship with women. See The Interview excerpts below
Why is your album titled Breakthrough?
It is without a doubt a breakthrough for me. That album is my grass to grace story. The story of how I struggled to earn a living back in the days. The story of how I used to be paid N2000 to perform at comedy clubs and now, I collect big money. In totality, this is a breakthrough from stress and suffering.
Now, how much do you charge to perform at   shows?
It depends because you cannot charge a student the same way you will charge a politician. Presently, I accept N3.5m from corporate organisations.
You had a rough start…
I never expected that I would be where I am today. I used to dance and do comedy in those days; music is a recent development. I am only a year and five months old in music. When I used to dance and do comedy, I got paid N1000 weekly and there were times I was not given a dime.
How did you get into comedy?
I began comedy when I was a student at the University of Uyo. We had one of those departmental nights and there was nobody to compère the programme. My friend and I decided to entertain the guests. We went on stage and cracked some jokes. Even though the jokes were not original, people still laughed. We were paid N3000 for that effort and I was surprised.
On another occasion, I was invited to participate in a dance competition and I won. Thereafter, I began to rehearse with a group. We performed at departmental nights and sometimes I got called upon to act as a compère.
How much dancing do you still do?
I don’t dance much these days because I have been busy with my album. Now that I’m finished with producing the album, I hope to resume dancing because I want to do more of live band performances henceforth.
Most artistes shy away from performing with the full complement of a band. Why have you chosen this route?
I want to stand out because even at my album launch which held in Uyo, I performed with a band. I have my own studio and I will procure band sets soon.
Why did you choose to launch your album in Akwa Ibom State instead of Lagos State which is considered the home of entertainment?
Apart from it being my home state, I began my career in Akwa Ibom where they have not been enjoying what people in Lagos are enjoying. They have been supportive of my career and having my album launch there is a way of showing appreciation for all they have done to assist with my career. To encourage my craft, the former governor of my state, Goodswill Akpabio, gave me a brand new 2015 Toyota Prado worth N20m.
Did you plan to embrace music?
I never knew I was going to become a musician. I went to Davido’s studio with a friend and that was where I met Shizzy. He came up with the idea of doing a song to eulogise Akpabio. I told him I did not have money to record a song and he still went ahead to compose a beat for me. Davido fell in love with the beat and wanted it for himself. At the end of the day, we all came together, came up with lyrics and recorded the song. The song went viral and a man called Mr. Tony came from nowhere and said because I mentioned Akpabio’s name in the song, he was going to give me money to shoot a video for the song. He gave me N2m which was used for the purpose it was designated. The video had more than 10 million views on YouTube.
How did you arrive at the name MC Galaxy?
Some years back when I was trying come up with a nickname, a lady friend suggested galaxy. When i realised I was going to become a comedian, I added MC to the name.
Why are you signed on with your own label?
Before I founded my label, I used to beg people to allow me sign on with their labels but they did not believe in me. I’m sure if some of those label owners knew I was going to be this big, they would have signed me. I have learnt from that experience and already, I have two artistes signed on with my label.
What would you attribute your sudden rise to?
It’s God who made it possible. Some people work hard but are yet to achieve all that I have achieved. People are confused about what I really do because they do not know whether I’m a comedian or a musician. I do both and some comedians are not happy about it. Some of them give me a cold shoulder but I don’t mind since I don’t suffer any form of ill feeling.
Who are your music influences?
I don’t have any, and I’m not competing with anyone. No one has influenced me because I’m just on my own. I am happy doing my thing provided I have enough to take care of myself, my family and still extend a hand of fellowship to my fans by giving out material and cash gifts every now and then.
Tell us about your educational background?
My uncle who was a professor sponsored my education because my dad didn’t have enough money even though he worked at the Nigerian Port Authority. I studied Computer Science at the University of Uyo, but I didn’t graduate due to circumstances beyond my control. Notwithstanding, I don’t regret not being a graduate because talent is sometimes greater than knowledge. One day, I will return to the campus to study for a degree.
How have you handled fame?
These days, I try not to go to public places alone because the reception I receive from my fans is alarming though in a good way. I just got back from the mall where I went to purchase a phone and you should have been there to witness how much love I was shown by fans.
Are you in a relationship?
I’m single and searching for a wife but I have female friends.
Do you plan to have a baby mama?
No, I don’t. That is the trend now but have you heard of any prominent artiste from Akwa Ibom who has a baby mama? It is not our style. I am very different; I don’t smoke or drink and I don’t even have a tattoo. People question the kind of person I am but I love hanging out with ladies.
How do you relax when you are not making music?
I plan to go into business, car business precisely. I want to own a dance school.
You and Davido were reportedly engaged in a physical combat a few weeks ago. What’s the present state of your relationship?
He is my very good friend and I don’t have a problem with   him. We have come a long way and we do things together.   If you have a friend and you don’t have one or two misunderstandings, then you don’t love each other. It is only okay for friends to disagree and then, they make up again.

No comments: