Monday 6 July 2015

I Collected N3.5m Reluctantly —Kidnap Suspect


A kidnap suspect, Vincent Ibor, said he collected reluctantly the sum of N3.5m after an abduction deal in Calabar, the capital of Cross River State. Ibor, who hails from Akamkpa Local Government Area of the state, said he was lured into the kidnap deal and threatened with gun after attending a birthday party. The 25-year-old suspect is currently in police custody with two other accomplices, Justice Ajodo (21) and Stanley Obi (20), who he alleged lured him into the crime. The state Police
Public Relations Officer, Mr. Hogan Bassey, said the three suspects had on October 9, 2014, kidnapped one Chief Samuel Onyeka at the Ikot-Ishie axis of Calabar. He said, “Chief Samuel Onyeka was rescued by the anti-kidnapping personnel and anti-robbery squad of the Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department on October 19 (2014). Some of the key suspects were arrested and are awaiting trial.'' Narrating how he was lured into kidnapping, Ibor said he was threatened by Stanley Obi who invited him to the birthday party. He said, “I was forced into kidnapping by my friends. They said if I did not get involved, they would kill me. I was called to attend a birthday party with them and they were drinking during the event.“The venue was at one joint along Parliamentary Extension area of Calabar. When I got there, we started drinking with some girls in our midst. It is the first time I got myself involved in it. “After some time, my friends came and directed me to drive one vehicle to Mirage Hotel area along the Murtala Mohammed Highway. I collected the keys and immediately my friends entered the car. On our way to Mirage, Stanley Obi brought out a gun and instructed that I drive straight to Anantigha in Calabar South. “I obeyed him, but insisted that they must tell me what was going on. I drove to Anantigha where someone was abducted and that was how I became involved. My greatest regret was ever going to that birthday party. “At the end of the kidnap, Stanley insisted that I must collect the money given to me, he said if I did not collect, I was likely to implicate them. So, I reluctantly collected N3.5m.'' In his sober state, Stanley Obi, who is from Anambra State, regretted his actions, saying, “The truth is that nobody should allow himself to be deceived by anyone.''The state Police Public Relations Officer also disclosed that three other key suspects involved in the kidnap of the senior Pastor of Winners Chapel in Calabar penultimate Saturday, Mr. Seyi Adekunle, had been arrested and added that they were providing useful information that would lead to the arrest of other culprits. Bassey further said that eight other kidnappers who were involved in the abduction of a Polish national, Mr. Maciej Jaszek, had been arrested and were being prosecuted. Bassey said Jaszek, who was kidnapped by gunmen on October 25, 2014 by Stanbic IBTC Bank, along Marian Road in Calabar, was rescued by the police anti-kidnapping detectives without paying a ransom. Only last week, the Cross River State Governor Ben Ayade, sent an executive bill to the House of Assembly, seeking death penalty for convicted kidnappers in the state. The state Police Commissioner, Mr. Henry Fadairo, said if passed into law, the spate of kidnapping might reduce.
Punch

No comments: