Thursday 21 April 2016

Lagos Court Dissolves 33-Year-Old Marriage

Lagos Customary Court yesterday dissolved the 33-year-old marriage of Mr Emmanuel Osuya, who claimed that he could no longer withstand his wife’s beatings.“My wife wants to kill me, she beats
me almost every day with dangerous weapons. On three occasions, she broke my leg, preventing me from going out for days.“Due to her frequent beating, I got paralysed in 2012 and that made the
beating unabated,” Osuya, 58, told the court.An Igando Customary Court in Lagos dissolved the marriage, with its president, Mr Adegboyega Omilola, saying he was convinced that the couple could no longer live together.“The court has no choice than to dissolve the union in spite of the fact that the wife still claims she loves her husband.Osuya, a retired civil servant, had approached the court to dissolve his 33-year-old marriage over alleged battering by his wife, Abigael.Osuya said Abigail, with whom he had five children, was always threatening his life through battering, adding that he was afraid she might kill him one day.

No comments: